Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Blast Inc - Columbus - Franklin? 1966

All Hail Blast Inc.. This band has been a stumper for a few years now. Originally I thought they were from Columbus, But now I'm leaning towards Franklin. Heck, they could be from Angola or Chandler for all I know. I'm asking for any help here! A name, real or imagined would be a good start. All I'm sure of is that they played at the Tempo department store in Columbus, Indiana in May '66. And I have a date in June '66 playing in Franklin. If they made a record, I don't have it (yet).

In February, band member Lee Folger found us and added:

Hey, this is Lee Folger, bassist from Blast Inc. Just found your website and thought I'd try to help fill in some information. We were primarily Southsiders and practiced in the Smith Valley Community Center. We played all around central Indiana and frequently linked up with Bouncin' Bill Baker and Easy Guinn from WIBC. We played such venues as the Whiteland Barn, Center Grove HS, Franklin County Fair Grounds, and many other teen dates.

We were just about to record our first record when our keyboardist, Bobby Kafader, was tragically killed in an auto accident. We disbanded shortly after and I have not heard from any other band members since. I am going to try to see if I can locate any of them and I will keep you posted as to the results.

We all sang backup for Nick Anderson.

The members were;
Bobby Kafader, Keyboards, Southport
Rick Richards, Rhythm, Southport
Ralph Wilson, Lead, Smith Valley
Dave Laughlin, Drums, Smith Valley
Nick Anderson, Vocals, Speedway
Lee Folger, Bass, Indy

Great stuff, this was one band I knew nothing about, other than a trail of dates they played! We welcome you back anytime Lee!

5 comments:

Lee Folger said...

Hey, this is Lee Folger, bassist from Blast Inc. Just found your webste and thought I'd try to help fill in some information. We were primarily Southsiders and practiced in the Smit Valley Community Center. We played all around central Indiana and frequently linked up with Bouncin' Bill Baker and Easy Guinn from WIBC. We played such venues as the Whiteland Barn, Center Grove HS, Franklin County Fair Grounds, and many other teen dates.

We were just about to record our first record when our keyboardist, Bobby Kafader, was tragically kikked in an auto accident. We disbanded shortly after and I have not heard from any other bamd members since. I am going to try to see if I can locate any of them and I will keep you posted as to the results.

We all sang backup for Nick Anderson.

The members were;
Bobby Kafader, Keyboards, Southport
Rick Richards, Rythm, Shouthport
(Dave) Wilson, Lead, Smith Valley
Dave Laughlin, Drums, Smith Valley
Nick Anderson, Vocals, Speedway
Lee Folger, Bass, Indy

vinylfool said...

Thanks so much for checkin' in Lee. I'll keep my eyes open for your band mates also. I found quite a few ads for your band playing, but has always seemed to be a mystery band on the members. Really glad to have rounded it out finally!

Bob Cleveland said...

I just stumbled in here by Googling Easy Guinn and Bouncing Bill Baker.

I moved to Indy at 15 and finished the last 3 years at Broad Ripple, and played in the dance band every year. I loved the music scene in Indy, and we played, ourselves, a number of proms and events at the Butler Student Center.

Guinn and Baker brought back a lot of good memories.

Lee said...

After some time, I remembered our lead guitarist first name. I didn't think I had it right, but it was just one of those "senior moments." He was the incredible Ralph Wilson. A very gifted guitarist and also bassist. I still haven't been able to find any band members, but someone did contact me to say that they had known Dave in school and they thought he had passed away several years ago.

I don't understand why anyone would have moved in 50 years, but since they have (and so have I) I guess I'll just go on hunting!

Ron Van Landingham is contemplating another "reunion concert" this summer at "The Suds" in Greenwood, so practice up on your moves!

See you soon!
Lee Folger
OneMountainGrown@comcast.net

Nick Anderson said...

Just ran across this article on September 4, 2016. We (Blast Inc.) had a great time together in the 60's. Our band was shattered when Bobby Kafader, our organist and vocalist died in a car accident in the spring. I am Nick Anderson and I was the lead singer. Dave Laughlin died many years ago when we were still young from complications of which I am not sure about. I have talked to Ralph Wilson in the past 5 years and he was an incredible lead guitarist and taught guitar as well at one of the music stores. Dave Heidenrich, pictured on bass was with us for a short time and Lee Folger was not in the photo. I talked to Dave also about 5 years ago. Dave and Ralph both live in the Greenwood area and I moved to Georgia in 1986. Would love to hear from any of you.
Nick Anderson
Nick3071@aol.com