Monday, April 7, 2014

Tomorrow's Yesterday - Virgil Murray

Daleville she says. Where in the heck is Daleville, he wonders as he reads the e*mails as she exposes a hometown hero, Virgil Duane Murray. Muncie outskirts is the answer. Early 1968 is the time a young Virgil fronts "Virgil Murray's Tomorrow's Yesterday" she explains. Hmmm, he wonders as he sifts through the dusty vinyl trove that is the 60's indiana band szene life blood. Bingo! 

Virgil Murray's Tomorrow's Yesterday:
Virgil Murray - Guitar - lead singer
Paul Fields - bass
Ron Smith - keyboards
Bill Jordon - horns
Jerry Vickery - drums

I Still Care
Summer Dreamin'

Virgil went on to win a Grand ol' Opry contest in 1975 and recorded some county music as Duane Murray. Still at it today and has a strong fan base. Seems Paul, and Bill have all passed away.

Tomorrow's Yesterday "I Still Care" is a strong dance floor filler and a memorable tune written by Virgil and others....who is L. Huff and E. McGuire? Recorded in Detroit and released a Kool Kat label and thankfully Tommy Wills Airtown label also.

Special thanks to Joyce for the promo pic and putting up with my questions. Thanks to Virgil for the thumbs up on the post!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

He also appeared on the Porter Wagoner Show with Skeeter Davis, Season 17, Episode 1.
As well as, WEWS-TV's 'Upbeat'which brought music acts to Cleveland to gain popularity across country in 1964 thru 1971.

Mr. Right said...

Love reading this stuff, but I have a correction to the comment that all of Virgil's band mates have passed away. Jerry Vickery, drummer, is alive and well. He is a friend of mine, and loves telling stories of his days in rock and roll. Jerry played with Tomorrow's Yesterday from 1966-1971. He remembers the early years when the band played mostly in the Indianapolis area before they extended themselves into regions beyond. Nowadays Jerry plays not much music but a lot of tennis!
--John Wright

Mr. Right said...

Tomorrow's Yesterday drummer Jerry Vickery is alive and well. He is a friend of mine and nowadays plays tennis, not much music anymore. But he does love to reminisce about his days in rock and roll. He was with the band from 1966 to 1971, as he recalls.
--Mr. Wright

Kimberly said...

I am interested in hearing Virgil if he’s still playing. Any idea if he is? And where?

Unknown said...

He never goes by virgil
He hides by duane and as far as I know he is not playing anywhere anymore. Hes a good friend of mine and I last saw him last yr at the funeral hone when my gr aunt died. He is 73 almost 74 now

Unknown said...

He goes by duane murray never virgil and hasn't hone by that name forever. Hes a good friend of mine. He is 73 going to he 74 he does not play anywhere anymore. I saw him later yr at funeral home when my gr aunt died.

Unknown said...

Duane is a great friend of mine and my family. I played drums off and on for him for 20+ years (all the way back to when Max Winchester was still alive and in the band). He was also a short time member of my dad's band which featured Duane's brother Chuck on banjo. I still speak to Duane all the time and see him whenever I get back to Indiana. He spends most of his time playing with his grandkids. Definitely one of the best country music singers and guitar players ever. And one of the first true outlaws who refused to conform to the"Nashville Sound."

Unknown said...

Need your help to get message to Duane Murray, Please, My Uncle Terry Castor passed away this Sunday (11/29/20),showing is this Sunday Dec6/20, He played Drums sometimes with Duane and they were good friends my number is 765-610-1610 and my Email is castor_1_70@yahoo.com, Showing is in Frankton this Sunday 3-8

Unknown said...

I unfortunately have extremely sad news. Duane passed away last night in Muncie Indiana in a house fire. If I can remember I'll post calling and funeral times and place.

Unknown said...

I still have mine all of mine including one called Chicago Winds

Joyce said...

Duane died in a house fire late Monday night, Feb 15, 2021, in Muncie.
Everyone who knew him is so very sad to hear of his passing.
So many cherished memories are pouring down around me today ❤️

B M said...

Uncle Virgil passed away in a house fire Monday night he will be missed dearly awesome guitar player and singer

Anonymous said...

Sadly Duane passed away in a house fire this weekend. Great friend, phenomenal singer/musician. He will be missed.

Anonymous said...

Duane passed away Feb 15, 2021 in a house fire in Muncie, IN